Which NFA preserves have hikeable trails?

Please see our property map for a list of hikeable preserves. MAP

Can I rent an NFA property for a special event?

Not currently. However, some of our preserves, like the Holcombe Hill Wildlife Preserve, have been used as backdrops for wedding and other photo shoots. Please contact a Board member or the caretaker for more information.


Only two preserves currently allow horseback riding. These are the Hattertown Pond Preserve and the Brunot Preserve. We ask that while riding on these properties you observe all Preserve rules and clean up after your animal. See the Newtown Bridle Lanes Association for more information on horseback riding in Newtown.

How can I donate or become a member of the NFA?

Your tax-deductible membership contribution to the NFA (a public charity under IRS regulations 501c(3)) will be used to acquire, maintain and manage our preserves right here in Newtown.

Do you accept donations of land or securities?

Yes, we do. Please click here for more information and for land acceptance criteria.

Is the NFA a Department of the Town of Newtown?

No. While we often work collaboratively with the Conservation Commision, the NFA is not a part of Town government. We are the oldest private land trust organization in Connecticut. It has been dedicated for ninety years to securing for the residents of Newtown and their posterity the benefits derived from open space lands.

What is a land trust?

The Newtown Forest Association (NFA) is Newtown, Connecticut’s land trust. A land trust is a private, nonprofit 501(c)3 conservation organization that works to protect land and water resources in perpetuity for the benefit of everyone in the community.

What volunteer opportunities are available with the NFA?

The all-volunteer Board of Directors always welcomes the assistance of other volunteers to assist them on committees, event planning, public relations or doing periodic maintenance and monitoring of one or more of Newtown Forest Association properties. Please see our volunteering page for details.

What is a conservation easement?

A conservation easement is a voluntary, legal agreement between a landowner and a land trust like the NFA that permanently limits uses of the land in order to protect its conservation values. It allows you to continue to own and use your land and to sell it or pass it on to heirs. When you donate a conservation easement to a land trust, you give up some of the rights associated with the land. For example, you might give up the right to build additional structures, while retaining the right to grow crops. Future owners also will be bound by the easement’s terms. The land trust is responsible for making sure the easement’s terms are followed on a long-term basis. An easement may apply to just a portion of the property, and need not require public access.

If you have a question that our website has not answered for you, send us an e-mail.