Save Cherry Grove Farm
The NFA wants to thank everyone for the incredible response to our fundraising efforts to preserve Cherry Grove Farm.
January 15, 2018.
Currently we have raised more than $420,000 of our $600,00 goal. The fundraising deadline has been extended to enable us to hit our final goal. We encourage all of you who value open space and the rural character of this great town of Newtown, help us with your donations.
In response to the many inquiries and questions regarding this preservation effort, the NFA would like to address the following points.
1) The deadline that we have all been working with was a contractual obligation with the developer to purchase the open space. The actual closing will probably take a few months to complete. In the meantime, the NFA will still continue to reach out for additional funding sources.
2) Pledges are a great way to donate to this cause. Pledges can be designated specifically to the purchase of the Cherry Grove land. If for some reason the sale does not go through, the donor would not be obligated to fund their pledge. The pledges will be due prior to the closing; which is expected sometime in May.
3) If the salel does not go through, donations made via check, PayPal or Network for Good that were designated to Preserve Cherry Grove will be refunded, unless the donor wishes to waive the refund and designate the donation to the NFA Land Acquisition Fund and restricted to fund future property acquisitions.
4)The First Selectman has expressed an interest in recommending that the Town of Newtown purchase a conservation easement on the property subject to agreeable terms and approvals by requisite town governing bodies.
5) The farm house & barns are not part of this preservation effort. The NFA is preserving approximately 30 acres of open space & farm land. The house & barns are being sold separately by the current owner of the farm. However, it is our belief that these buildings will be sold to a party that will retain the character of the current farm.
6) Like all NFA land, the preserved land of Cherry Grove will be opened to the public, year round, from dawn to dusk for passive recreation. This will include horse access and may include some possible light agriculture. No motorized vehicle traffic will be allowed.”
If you have specific questions regarding your donation or the preservation effort please feel free to contact Bart Smith @ email@example.com, Vice President of the Newtown Forest Association, and we will be happy answer any questions.”
Donate to save cherry grove farm
We recently learned that Cherry Grove Farm, an iconic Newtown landmark with origins dating back to 1912, was recently sold to a local developer. The NFA reached an agreement to save and preserve a majority of the farm. The terms of agreement allow the NFA to purchase 30 acres of farmland for $600,000. The challenge for us is that we only have until January 15 to raise necessary funds. If we do not succeed, then the full parcel will be fully developed.
Please help us continue to preserve open space in our community by making a tax-deductible gift. Your support will help protect the quality of life and water resources for generations.
Make an online donation now with a Credit Card or PAYPAL account…